Even if you aren’t cooking meals for a whole bunch of people within a limited time frame, sometimes that extra helping hand found in a great kitchen tool such as the Chef’sChoice 6100000 610 Electric Food Slicer can turn what potentially could be a time-consuming chore into a quick, easy and relatively painless task. It isn’t just the professional chefs who need a little help in the kitchen!
Regardless of whether you’re someone who loves cooking and spends long hours in the kitchen, or if you’re someone who doesn’t particularly care for it but understands that you shouldn’t order to-go food every day of the week, we can all agree that helpful tools in the kitchen are a godsend. While there are many tools on the market for kitchen tasks that are undoubtedly difficult to perform by yourself or with just your not-so-mighty arm power, there are also many tools that help out with tasks you never thought could be made simpler.
Slicing is perhaps the most basic skill you need in the kitchen, and you may be thinking that unless you’re a chef or someone working in the food industry, you would never need a tool or machine that helps you out with this task. However, how much time does it take you to slice up meat, vegetables, fruits, or even cheese? Do you spend more time on the preparation than the actual cooking? We do!
If you’re someone who doesn’t have much time to get food prepared, or if you have a party and you don’t want to spend a long time in the food prep as well, then maybe you should consider a food slicer. There are many great food slicers on the market, and the Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer is a good example of a food slicer that is gear-driven and has all the features you would need in one.
Table of Contents
Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer
- The Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer is made from cast aluminum and has a stainless steel slicer with a cool-running, gear-driven, and high-torque motor.
- The electric food slicer comes with a 7-inch stainless steel blade that is capable of producing 0.75-inch thick or deli-thin slices depending on your needs.
- This Chef’sChoice food slicer has a large food carriage as well as a cantilever design that was developed to provide you with efficient and fast slicing.
- The food carriage with large capacity retracts entirely to allow you to slice hams, super-sized roasts, and some other foods.
- The Chef’sChoice food slicer’s food pusher, stainless steel blade, large food carriage, and the thickness guide can all be removed for easy cleaning.
- For extra security, its large food carriage stays and locks in position, providing restricted access to its blade when the Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer is not being used.
- This product has a safety fuse at the base that will prompt shut down to protect against power surges.
- The Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer measures 15 by 10.5 by 10.8 inches and weighs 11.3 pounds.
- This electric food slicer comes with a serrated blade; however, a non-serrated blade is available separately and easily attaches on to the unit.
- The 610 electric food slicer also comes with a serving tray.
Pros & Cons
- Great food slicer for the home cook
- For those home cooks who won’t be using this on the day, it can be easily stored out of the way and pulled out again when you need it
- Weighs enough that it won’t move around when you are slicing
- Easy to clean as all of the parts disassemble very easily
- Motor works very well and efficiently
- Serrated blade that works great on bread and vegetables
- separately easily attaches onto the machine as is perfect for slicing meats, cheeses, and the like
- Food carriage that rests on a slightly slanted base is perfect at helping position the meat in the right location
- While not flimsy, it isn’t as durable as it could be either as the screws to hold the blade in are made out of plastic and can break if you aren’t careful.
- The thickness dial that allows you to set how thick you want the slices of whatever you’re feeding through the machine to be is quite sensitive, and you could experience that at times it produces progressively thicker slices as you feed the ingredient through
- You have to buy the non-serrated blade separately
- Blade’s lubricant is petroleum jelly that is food-grade, so it does not clean up as easily
- The water can get into the plastic housing in the middle of the blade, making clean up for the blade specifically a little bit trickier
The Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer is a gear-driven food slicer that has all the basic features anyone would need from a food slicer.
Overall, it works great and is best for home cooks because while it does produce great-quality food slices at different thicknesses, it isn’t professional-grade at all. Additionally, because some parts of the machine are built with plastic, it isn’t as durable as one would need it to be if you see yourself using this several times each day like a professional working in a kitchen would. It is also recommended not to be used to slice through bones, for example, and is better used on roasts, meats, cheeses, vegetables, and using the serrated blade for bread.
It’s easy to store, easy to clean, and also very easy to use.
When compared to other food slicers on the market, the Chef’sChoice 610 Electric Food Slicer is most definitely made for home cooks. Just looking at its components and its features, it’s clear that it isn’t specifically designed for commercial use like units such as the Best Choice Products New 10″ Blade Commercial Deli Meat Cheese Food Slicerthat advertises its use right in its name.
If you’re a home cook wanting to save time on slicing ingredients, or if you often find yourself playing host to parties and are looking for an extra helping hand with slicing up some ham and cheese in deli-thin slices, then the Chef’sChoice 6100000 610 Electric Food Slicer is a great tool for you.
It’s something you would not want to make use of every day for heavy slicing work, but given how well it works at what it does and how easy it is to store when you aren’t using it, it’s a great tool to have around.